Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Everybody's Doin' It

Running has recently become like hearing a new word on NPR - makes one appearance on 'The World' and suddenly you hear it coming out of everyone's mouth. Did everyone simultaneously begin using this new $5 word, or is it simple awareness? The answer is obvious, but it always seems like a weird coincidence.

So it is for me and running.

In the last few weeks, it seems that everyone I know has just casually picked it up. Obviously, that is not the case, but it's interesting that so many of my friends and family and acquaintances seem to have just recently begun posting/tweeting their latest mileage, times, races, etc. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention before. I'll admit - it is entirely possible that I am just self-centered enough to not notice other people's efforts until I have a common interest. I'd like to think we are all this self-centered, but I know otherwise. World-wise and conceited - that's me.

Anywho, this whole perspective change also applies to noticing random strangers running - everywhere. I spent the long weekend with friends in Brooklyn, where there seemed to be loads of folks pounding the pavement in their finest winter running attire. Are Park Slope and Queens the new running hot spots or did I miss something? Well, they succeeded in making me regret my 3-day hiatus (didn't even pack my sneaks) and in making me want to blow even more money on gear. Thank god it was 65 degrees today and I was able to run my 4 miles in the glorious outdoors. Goodbye running gear envy - hello Spring fever!

3 comments:

  1. See, I actually thought it was weird that you started running just as I was starting. I seem to see runners everywhere now and I find myself looking at - and assessing - their shoes, watches, etc. I even just read a book (Confessions From a Broad) that seemed to have nothing to do with running - and yet the character ends up running a marathon and having it change her life at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! That comment was from me. I forgot I was still logged into my work's gmail account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you spoiled the fun! I was intrigued by the Amanda comment. ;-) I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with the 'everybody's suddenly doing what I'm doing' complex.

    ReplyDelete