Sunday, February 26, 2012

Trophy Wife

I guess it's been a while, but since all of my recent running accomplishments have really been in the last two weeks, my hiatus was matched to the lull. So, as to those accomplishments: 1. a new 5K PR and 2. my first running trophy (pictured).

The new PR (an astounding 26:00) was set at the Myrtle Beach Marathon 5K - a night race that hubby and I did with his father and step-mom. It was in celebration of his dad's 60th and, more importantly, it was a flat course. I attribute my PR to not only the terrain and perfect weather, but the red balloons carried by the 8 min. mile pacer. I stayed within eye-shot of those damn ballo0ns until just after mile two, which was enough to balance out my slow 3rd mile. Hubby also set a PR and is now just north of 28 1/2 mins. for 5K.

The trophy - first, and likely only, of my adult life - was for an 8K that we were using as a tune-up race for the one my husband will run Easter weekend. We'll be joining our friends who are running the full marathon in Charlottesville (I'm doing the half). I really had not planned to go all out for this small local race, and even walked parts after the relentless wind demoralized me. But, in the end, it was enough to best the other handful of female runners, so I was first overall with a time of 45:35. Hubby got first in his age group with 48:59, so he got a medal as well. Not too shabby for the longest race he's done.

So, race season has started with quite a bang and now we look forward to Charlottesville. After that, I'm trying to talk us into a 10K at a Yadkin Valley winery in May. We're not ready to register quite yet, but I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment