Saturday, March 20, 2010

Not going that extra mile

Every Friday feels like winning a battle - a triumph over the various and random forces that feel like weights on my ankles as I fight through the rest of the week . Traffic jams, long lines, coffee stains, shedding pets, even PMS, they all disappear at 5 o'clock Friday. It really is magic. And yesterday was even more magic-er (sic) because it's SPRING! Yesterday's run was only 3 miles, but it was 70 degrees, sunny, and the air was filled with the scents of early flowers and fresh cut grass. It was lovely, it was indeed a little bit magical, and it made me want to run a few extra laps around my little adopted running neighborhood.

But, I didn't. Nope. As tempting as it was, I remembered a tidbit of expert running advice I read early in my training: Don't go the extra mile.

3 miles is the shortest distance I run these days, but from my prior reading, I knew that going that extra mile wouldn't really pay off. In my head, it may have seemed like an opportunity to breathe in the fresh air and feel the sunshine for another mile. But, in reality, it would also shave off the remainder of my Dunkin Donuts large latte high and render me too exhausted to enjoy my weekly Friday celebration. And, with a 16 mile run looming for this Sunday, overdoing it always poses the risk of derailing my training schedule.

So, I didn't go the extra mile, not even part of it. Being the overachiever that I am (though I like to picture myself as a rebellious slacker, I must admit my true tendencies), that little gem of advice has an extra sweet ring for me. It's like a pass to dial it back a notch or two - something I am rarely willing to do. Like that other advice to actually rest and not run a couple of days a week, not going the extra mile is something that imposes sanity on my otherwise insanely busy life.

Today happens to be one of those 'rest' days, so it's time to go work on the kitchen, write a paper, take my advanced stats quiz, switch over the winter/summer wardrobe, walk the dogs, do the dishes, and.......


p.s. One week from today is my first half-marathon - on the same date of the original race my Mom and I were supposed to run together. I'll be running this one solo, and I'm thinking it should take me about 2 hours and 40 minutes. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment