Sunday, December 27, 2009

You know it's the holidays when...

...running 7 miles is the most relaxing part of my week. After Christmas Eve with in-laws, Christmas morning with my folks and Christmas day-evening with my OTHER in-laws, I was ready for an hour and a half on the treadmill. As I've mentioned before, my running pace is barely more than a walk - and maybe even slower than a fast walk. At 5.0 mph, I knew it would take me about an hour and a half to do seven miles, with a couple of warm-up/cool-down walking minutes on either end. As with every Saturday long run, this would be my longest distance yet and would require some serious measures to keep my eyes off the treadmill display screen.

Enter Netflix Watch Instantly - and the router expander that took me 3 hours to set up earlier this week (a little present to myself). I had purchased this little gadget earlier in the week to extend the wireless signal out to the 'exercise room' which is housed in the addition on the back of house, woefully out of the reach of our ancient router. I won't go into the gory details of the two hours spent on the phone with Cisco non-support before figuring out, on my own, how to get the thing to work with our antique router. But once I had everything working, I was able to triumphantly complete my shorter runs on Wed. and Thurs. to early episodes of L.A. Ink.
Joy.


So, since Saturday's agenda not only included my 7 mile run, but also a 5 hour round trip drive to the Meineke Car Care Bowl (my husband's present to himself, his dad and step-mom), I rose early and drank my morning coffee while I scoured Netflix for a 90 minute running diversion. Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist was a perfect fit. I completed the 7 miles with relative ease and did not harm anyone (husband, in-laws, other drivers, innocent bystanders) either physically or verbally the entire day.

Thanks Nick and Nora. Thank you Netflix. And Cisco tech support, go $#%^ yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment